Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.


If you plan to bring family members with you to the U.S., there are a few additional things to consider as you prepare for departure, including immigration documentation and important records. Once you have arrived on-campus, utilize our spouses, partners, and dependents resources to maximize your family's experience in the U.S.

Immigration documentation Heading link

Your spouses and children will first need passports, which are issued by you home country’s government. After they have obtained their passports, you will need to decide which status they will use to enter the U.S. If you plan for them to enter as a dependent on your UIC-sponsored status, refer to the appropriate instructions on how to add a dependent.

After you receive the appropriate dependent documents from OIS, your spouse or child will need to apply for the relevant U.S. visa at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate prior to entering the U.S.

We strongly encourage you to discuss your questions about dependent immigration documentation with your OIS Advisor early in your planning process as it can be complicated and expensive to change the status of a dependent after they enter the U.S.

Additional documentation Heading link

You may need to show additional documentation in order to set up the logistics of daily life for your dependents. It is good to have the following documents on hand when enrolling for school, childcare, or obtaining medical care in the U.S. All documents should be official copies and translated into English.


  • Marriage certificate or license
  • Immunization records
  • Active prescriptions
  • School transcripts and diplomas


  • Birth certificate
  • Immunization records
  • Active prescriptions
  • Dates and documentation of last medical, eye, and dental exams
  • Documentation for any diagnosed physical or mental health condition (in order to set up support services in the U.S.)
  • School transcripts

Supporting your child Heading link

You may also want to talk to your child about moving to a new country and explain how U.S. culture might be different from what they are used to back home. Involve them in the process and accept that even if this is a challenging experience, you have tools and resources available to you. Relocate Magazine has an article focused on helping children navigate an international move.