F-1 SEVIS Transfer Out
International students in F-1 status must always maintain accurate academic information on their SEVIS record and Form I-20. This includes the name and location of the school at which you are studying. If you plan to leave UIC and study at a different school in the U.S., you must request a transfer of your SEVIS record to the new academic institution. This SEVIS transfer must be completed prior to you beginning studies at the new school.
If you are an international student newly admitted to UIC and looking for information about transferring your SEVIS record into UIC, visit our page, getting started with the visa process.
Basic eligibility requirements for F-1 SEVIS transfer out Heading link
- You are in valid F-1 status at the time of submitting the request and have not exceeded the 60 day grace period following the completion of your academic program or approved post-completion OPT.
- You are admitted to another academic institution located in the U.S. that is authorized to host F-1 international students.
- Your new academic program begins within five months of your last date of enrollment at UIC or the last date of authorized employment under approved post-completion OPT (if applicable).
Steps to request an F-1 SEVIS transfer out Heading link
- Apply and obtain admission from a U.S. academic institution. Remember that the new school must be authorized to host F-1 international students and the new academic program must begin no later than five months from your last date of enrollment at UIC or the last date of authorized employment under OPT.
- Identify your ideal SEVIS release date. This is the date your SEVIS record moves from UIC to the new school. Identifying your ideal SEVIS release date may involve conversations with your OIS advisor and the international student advisor at your new school. See below for more information.
- Submit the Transfer Out/SEVIS Release E-Form in myOIS. The e-form will ask you for details on your new school and evidence of your admission. You will also indicate your chosen SEVIS release date at this time.
- Correct and resubmit your e-form, if needed. Since transferring out a SEVIS record is a significant event after which UIC can no longer access or make changes to your record, the OIS advisor assigned to your case may reach out for clarification and suggestions for e-form edits. Please monitor your email closely and respond promptly to any communication you receive from OIS.
- After the SEVIS release date, obtain your updated Form I-20 from your new school. Your new school may have additional steps you need to take or forms to submit in order to receive your updated Form I-20. Please contact your international student advisor at the new school for details.
Identifying your SEVIS release date Heading link
Choosing your SEVIS release can be challenging and often involves a conversation with a few different people, including your immigration advisors at UIC and the new school, your academic advisors, and your supervisors at any authorized work or practical training positions. When identifying your release date, here are few things to keep in mind:
- The SEVIS release date reflects the date on which your F-1 record closes at UIC and becomes accessible to your new school. All study, employment, and practical training benefits associated with your UIC F-1 record end on the SEVIS release date.
- SEVIS release dates must be in the future. You cannot choose a SEVIS release date in the past.
- If you are attempting to transfer your SEVIS record before completing your UIC academic program, please consult with an OIS advisor as there are additional steps you will need to take and variables to consider with regards to the SEVIS release date.
- If you plan to transfer your SEVIS record after completing your UIC academic program, the SEVIS release date must fall within the 60-day grace period following your program completion date.
- If you plan to transfer your SEVIS record during a period of authorized post-completion OPT, note that your work authorization will end on the SEVIS release date.
- If you plan to transfer your SEVIS record after completing a period of authorized post-completion OPT, the SEVIS release date must fall within the 60-day grace period following your approved work authorization end date.
- You should consider I-20 processing times at your new school when selecting your SEVIS release date. Remember, you must have an updated Form I-20 in-hand prior to beginning studies at the new school or when re-entering the U.S. after the SEVIS release date.
FAQs Heading link
Here are some frequently asked questions about the F-1 SEVIS transfer out process.
When can I transfer my SEVIS record?
- During your studies at UIC.
- After you complete your academic program at UIC, as long as you complete the transfer process within your 60-day grace period.
- While on OPT or after you are finished with your OPT period, as long as you complete the transfer process within your 60-day grace period.
When do I need to begin my studies at the new school?
The academic program at the transfer-in school must begin at the next available term or session, which must be no more than five months from the end of your studies at the transfer-out school or end date of OPT.
If the period between programs is longer than 5 months, your new school must issue you a new initial I-20 with a new SEVIS number. You must leave the U.S. within your 60-day grace period and re-enter no earlier than 30 days before your new program start date.
Does OIS drop or withdraw me from my classes when I transfer out my SEVIS record?
No, OIS cannot make changes to your class registration, including dropping or withdrawing your classes when you transfer out your SEVIS record. If you are enrolled for the current or future term, please first discuss your plans with your academic program advisor and consult the Office of the Registrar for information on registration policies and the tuition refund schedule.
Please note that after the add/drop deadline, F-1 students must be enrolled full-time at UIC until the SEVIS transfer release date in order to maintain status.
I am currently on OPT. When should I stop working?
Students participating in OPT must cease working upon their SEVIS release date or when their EAD card expires, whichever comes first.
Does transferring my record affect my on-campus employment at UIC?
Yes. Your on-campus employment must end on the day before your SEVIS release date. The transfer-in school will have jurisdiction over your SEVIS record on and after your release date.
Note: If you are graduating, you must stop all on-campus employment on the last day of your studies at UIC.
Will I need to pay the SEVIS fee again after transferring my F-1 record to the new school?
If you successfully transfer your active F-1 record record to another institution, you maintain the same SEVIS ID and do not need to pay the SEVIS fee again.
Does transferring my F-1 record affect my travel plans?
Probably. There are a few things to consider when you travel internationally during a SEVIS transfer. First, remember that you cannot re-enter the U.S. during the 60-day grace period following completion of studies or authorized post-completion OPT using your UIC Form I-20. If you leave the U.S. and plan to re-enter after the SEVIS release date, you must do so using a Form I-20 from the new school. It is important to discuss your travel plans with your international student advisor at the new school so that an appropriate “transfer out” date and new I-20 issuance can be coordinated to facilitate your travel.