Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

E-3 Australian Specialty Occupation Worker


E-3 status is for professionals who are citizens of Australia who are coming to the U.S. to work in a specialty occupation. E-3 status is employer- and employment-specific, meaning you may only work for UIC in the capacity described in the initial petition to Immigration and Department of Labor (DOL).  As mentioned in the “Work Authorization” section, if anything changes about your position (location, telecommuting, reduction in time, new title, etc., an amendment may be needed before you may take part in those new employment conditions.

Please review your immigration documents USCIS/Immigration (I-129 petition) and Department of Labor (LCA) to understand your employment terms, location(s), wage, and dates.

Amendments, extensions

E-3 status may be amended and/or extended by travel or by OIS filing a petition on your behalf to USCIS.  In either scenario OIS will work with your sponsoring department to arrange.


It is possible to “port”/“transfer” your E-3 status to another employer; the new employer will file a Form I-129 on your behalf.  Employment should be continuous from UIC to the next employer.  If your department ends your employment early, you may have up to 60 days to remain in the country and seek other employment. You may not work or volunteer during the transitional time. Your future E-3 sponsor will notify you when you may begin your new employment.

E-3D dependents

E-3D Dependents are not automatically eligible to work, or volunteer to work. After entry into the U.S., E-3 spouses may file a USCIS Form I-765 for an Employment Authorization Document and may work, paid or unpaid, upon receipt of that card. They may attend school. They have the same travel requirements as E-3 workers.