Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Non-UIC Sponsored International Employees

There are many employment statuses for individuals that are working at the University but are not sponsored by UIC. For employees sponsored by UIC, please navigate to your appropriate status on our website.

If you need to check in with OIS, please navigate to our check-in page and follow the appropriate instructions for your status.

Please note: OIS may not provide legal advice to employees and visitors who are not sponsored by UIC, see our Use of Attorney guidelines. Contact your sponsor and/or an immigration attorney if you have questions beyond the scope of our office. For questions about the information on this page, contact

Common Non-UIC Sponsored Employee Statuses Heading link

The following are common statuses working at UIC; it is not an exhaustive list.

F-1 OPT/STEM – graduate of a non-UIC institution working on “Optional Practical Training”

F-1 CPT – student enrolled at another school working at UIC on “Curricular Practical Training”

J-1 AT – graduate of a non-UIC institution working on Academic Training

J-2 – J-1 dependent with work authorization

H-4 – H-1B dependent with work authorization

Green card-pending/Adjustment of Status/I-485-pending – awaiting a final green card, has work authorization (EAD card)

  • Special advice for current UIC H-1B and O-1 status holders who are simultaneously pending adjustment of status is in our U.S. Permanent Residence section.

Maintaining and Extending Status Heading link