Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TN Professional Under USMCA


TN status is for professionals who are citizens of Canada or Mexico who are coming to the U.S. to work in one of the professions listed in the NAFTA trade agreement, now known as the USMCA agreement (United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement). You may only work for UIC in the capacity described in the initial “TN letter” presented to US Customs and Immigration upon entry (if via travel) or the petition OIS filed on your behalf with Immigration (USCIS).  As mentioned in the “Work Authorization” section, if anything changes about your position (location, telecommuting, reduction in time, new title, etc., an amendment may be needed before you may take part in those new employment conditions.


TN status is a non-immigrant status, which means your intent to remain in the United States is temporary. Although you do not need to prove that you have an “unabandoned residence abroad” for entry and subsequent renewal, you do need to demonstrate that you do not seek to remain in the U.S. permanently.

Amendments, extensions

TN status may be amended and/or extended by travel or by OIS filing a petition on your behalf to USCIS.  In either scenario, OIS will work with your sponsoring department to arrange.

TD dependents

TD dependents are not eligible to work, or volunteer to work. They may attend school as long as they are not paid (such as receiving an assistantship).