Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J-1 Exchange Visitor Scholars

UIC sponsors J-1 Exchange Visitor Scholars in several categories, including student interns, research scholars and professors, and short-term scholars. The information below will help you understand how to maintain your J-1 EV Scholar status, including any details specific to your category.

Other J-1 EV Scholars at UIC sponsored by third-party organizations, such as Fulbright Scholars and ECFMG international physicians, should not utilize the information below but rather connect with their program sponsor for immigration-related advising.

Maintaining J-1 Exchange Visitor Scholar status basics Heading link

In addition to the basic status maintenance requirements for all J-1 Exchange Visitors, J-1 EV Scholars in all categories must stay in compliance with the U.S. Department of State program regulations throughout the duration of their program. Here are some of those basic requirements and instructions for what to do if you anticipate a change in your EV program.

Information for different J-1 Exchange Visitor Scholar categories Heading link

There are status maintenance details specific to each J-1 Exchange Visitor Scholar category. Select your category below to learn more.

Important J-1 EV Scholar status reminders Heading link

  • You are required to discuss any possible changes to your J-1 Exchange Visitor program with OIS in advance.
  • You may only work as approved on your Form DS-2019 and have a valid, unexpired Form DS-2019 through the duration of your program.
  • You must maintain a valid, unexpired passport at all times while in the U.S. You should prepare to renew your passport six months in advance of the expiry.
  • You must report any changes to your local residential address to OIS within 10 days of moving. Failure to report change of address will make you ineligible for reinstatement of status.
  • You, and any J-2 dependents, are required to maintain valid health insurance that meets the program requirements through the duration of your program.
  • If any of your program activity will take place off-campus, even for a one-time engagement or brief period, you must report any changes to your site of activity to OIS in advance.
  • If you need to change or add program funding, please see Change my Funding Information.