Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

International Student Verification Letters

OIS supports F-1 and J-1 international students by issuing verification letters for certain processes in which it is necessary to confirm aspects of your immigration status or activities in the U.S. See below for the types of verification letters available and how to request them through myOIS.

Social Security Support Letter Heading link

F-1 and J-1 international students become eligible for a U.S. Social Security Number, or SSN, after they have been hired to work an authorized, paid job in the U.S. To obtain your SSN, you must submit an application to the nearest Social Security Administration office and attach supporting documentation, including a Social Security Support Letter issued by OIS. Log into myOIS to submit the Social Security Support Letter Request E-Form and learn how to apply for your SSN below.

Status Verification Letters Heading link

You may encounter a situation in which you need to verify your valid immigration status and a signed letter from your school is necessary. In this case, log into myOIS and submit the Status Verification Letter Request E-Form.

6/3 Letter Heading link

Certain F-1 and J-1 international students toward the end of their degree program (e.g. students enrolled for 0 credit hours while completing a thesis or dissertation) may need to verify that they are considered a full-time student for immigration purposes while enrolled below the standard full-time course load. In this case, log into myOIS and submit the 6/3 Letter Request E-Form and learn more about international student enrollment requirements below.

Additional student records Heading link

Many student records can be obtained from the Office of the Registrar, including official UIC transcripts, enrollment verification, degree verification, and course descriptions. The Office of the Registrar can also facilitate an apostille, or the legalization of a document for international use under the terms of the Hague Convention.