International Student Departure & Ending Status
An international student must notify OIS when they permanently depart the U.S. or no longer need the benefits associated with their non-immigrant status sponsored by UIC. This notification allows OIS to appropriately update your immigration record both at the University and with the U.S. government. In many cases, international students not sponsored by UIC should also notify OIS when departing or experiencing a change in immigration status. See below for more details.
Submitting a status update to OIS Heading link
International students should submit the Status Update E-form in myOIS in the following situations.
- When you complete your academic program and intend to return to your home country.
- When you complete F-1 Post-Completion OPT or J-1 Academic Training and intend to return to your home country.
- When you change your immigration status to H-1B, Permanent Residency, F-2, or other status that requires and update to your current non-immigrant status sponsored by UIC.
Understanding your grace period Heading link
International students in F-1 or J-1 status are allowed to remain in the U.S. for a period of time following program completion. The length of your grace period, and the activities you can engage in during that time, depend on your immigration status.
- F-1 students have a 60-day grace period following completion of studies or authorized post-completion optional practical training. F-1 students can use this time to depart the U.S., continue studies via a change of education level or F-1 SEVIS transfer out, or apply for optional practical training (if eligible).
- J-1 students have a 30-day grace period following completion of studies or authorized post-completion academic training. J-1 students can only use this time for departure. Any J-1 SEVIS transfer out or post-completion academic training requests must be submitted before the end of the program of study or DS-2019 expiration.
FAQs Heading link
Here are some frequently asked questions about departure and the status update form.