Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

International Student Departure & Ending Status

An international student must notify OIS when they permanently depart the U.S. or no longer need the benefits associated with their non-immigrant status sponsored by UIC. This notification allows OIS to appropriately update your immigration record both at the University and with the U.S. government. In many cases, international students not sponsored by UIC should also notify OIS when departing or experiencing a change in immigration status. See below for more details.

If you have been admitted to another academic institution in the U.S. and want to transfer your SEVIS record to the new school, please see F-1 SEVIS Transfer Out or J-1 SEVIS Transfer Out.

Submitting a status update to OIS Heading link

International students should submit the Status Update E-form in myOIS in the following situations.

  • When you complete your academic program and intend to return to your home country.
  • When you complete F-1 Post-Completion OPT or J-1 Academic Training and intend to return to your home country.
  • When you change your immigration status to H-1B, Permanent Residency, F-2, or other status that requires and update to your current non-immigrant status sponsored by UIC.

Understanding your grace period Heading link

International students in F-1 or J-1 status are allowed to remain in the U.S. for a period of time following program completion. The length of your grace period, and the activities you can engage in during that time, depend on your immigration status.

FAQs Heading link

Here are some frequently asked questions about departure and the status update form.